Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Variable Topics - Assignment #2

This assignment was a response to an excerpt from an essay by a wonderful artist, Squeak Carnwath wherein she talks about the desire to create and how life brings plenty of inspiration.

1/26/2010
I can relate with Squeak and her desire to create. It has always been in me as well. To translate an idea, emotion, or mood into something tangible, or to reconstruct it. However, I think somewhere down the road I lost the ability, or the awareness of the fact that I can create without rules or limits. That's the point of being an artist in many senses. Imagination and creativity. It started out that way, bringing to life non-existing things, or really using my eye to look and translate what I saw using my own language. But then it became about others styles and ideas. Instead of embracing my own creations, and artistic identity I became immersed with becoming like my favorites. Now, all, most, or some artist may go through this. But for me it has been a long, detrimental trek that has been hard to shake. Until recently.

I'm learning to be inspired but now not feeling as compelled to compare myself to others; to let go and draw that line, form that shape, and change it until it suits me. Mistakes are OK. I remember my father use to doodle, it's probably what encouraged art in me, but he had such a unique, feathery/unsure style of sketching that one could recognize as his. He was void of formal training or the temptation to copy or imitate. This was his vision. I treasure that now. The case is the same with my fiancee. She's studying to become an Elementary Ed. teacher, and one of her courses was teaching art. Her work was her own, she hated it, but it was remarkable to me. She was creating in a place, with a sense, that seems fairly foreign to me now. No doubt I'll find my style (again), and no doubt my life inspirations will find their way into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment